On December 13, 2010, Port Metro Vancouver (PMV) gave a presentation to North Vancouver City Council regarding their Low Level Road Improvement Project. The scope of the project is extensive but the primary components of this project that are relevant to Lower Lonsdale residents affected by rail noise include:
- Closing the St. Andrew’s uncontrolled crossing
- Closing the St. Patrick’s uncontrolled crossing
- Building an overpass close to St. Patrick’s Street for vehicle access to the industrial businesses on the waterfront
- Building an overpass next to the Neptune and Cargill terminals and closing a 3rd uncontrolled crossing
The primary benefits of these changes mean an improved level of safety because 3 uncontrolled crossings will be closed permanently. This means that the CN Rail locomotives will not have to blast their whistles at these crossings!
The First Step
At the end of the presentation, Port Metro Vancouver asked the Mayor and City Councillors to approve the Community Consultation component. The Mayor and City Councillors gave their approval for the Community Consultation component of this project!
- Read the full Port Metro Vancouver presentation on the City of North Vancouver’s website: Low Level Road Improvement Project. This presentation outlined the following items: scope of the project, benefits, schedule, next steps, and a community consultation component.
- Watch the PMV presentation given at the CNV Council Meeting December 13, 2010 via streaming video off the City of North Vancouver’s website. In order to watch this presentation, you will need to download and install RealPlayer from www.real.com.
- Read the CNV’s Meeting Minutes at: CNV Council Meeting December 13, 2010.
Community Consultation on February 10, 2011
Port Metro Vancouver has scheduled a “Community Open House” for Thursday, February 10, 2011 at the Pinnacle Hotel at the Pier from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm. The Pinnacle Hotel is located at 138 Victory Ship Way in North Vancouver.
North Vancouver residents need to attend this event, ask questions and provide input. This is a critical project for North Vancouver and it is very encouraging that Port Metro Vancouver has considered the impact of this project on the community, and has proposed solutions that will greatly benefit residents in many ways.
- The status of this project can be found on the PMV’s website.
- The PMV can be contacted by phone at 604-665-9066.
- The PMV can be contacted by email at Public Affairs.
Note that the approval given here is consultation with the community. The final decision and funding for this project will occur later this year in the spring of 2011.
The Low Level Road Improvement Project is part of a much larger initiative called the Asia-Pacific Gateway & Corridor Initiative and the North Shore Trade Area Program. This program contains additional projects that will benefit other communities on the North Shore.